Information Technology is not like it used to be before. Most of the sysadmin tasks are getting automated using tools and scripting languages. Which includes configuration management tools like chef, puppet, Ansible, etc and scripting languages like shell scripting, python, ruby, etc.
Also, the way people and teams worked has changed drastically in recent years with the advent of new philosophies such as DevOps and methodologies like Agile.
Cloud computing has drastically changed the way how servers are provisioned. You don’t need to wait for days to get a server provisioned for your application deployment. With a few clicks, you will have your server ready for deployment. The process gets easier by writing automation scripts for server provisioning and configuration. One such example is the python boto library. Using boto
What python has to do with DevOps?
- Python is one of the best scripting languages. The vast availability of python libraries allows you to write scripts that could communicate with system internals, manipulate files, strings, manage networks and so on.
- Once you learn python, you can write automation scripts in a well-structured way. Moreover, every Linux system today comes bundled with python.
- Many DevOps teams use python for building custom utilities, web apps for custom data visualization and more. The main reason is, it’s easy to learn and you can develop utilities in days rather than months.
- Besides, tools like ansible are purely written in python. You can develop custom ansible modules for your automation tasks. Also, it is not limited to just Ansible, there are many tools written in python that lets you create custom scripts to work with them better.
So, there are enough reasons why you should learn python for automating manual tasks.
- Introduction to Python
- Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python 3
- The Python Bible™ | Everything You Need to Program in Python
Python Scripting Tutorial for Beginners
The first step to getting started with python is to learn the basics which are needed for scripting. Here we are not going to cover python for application development but for automation.
In this knowledge base, we will cover a set of articles that will have necessary beginner tutorials to get you started with python scripting. Following is the list. Subscribe to our mailing list for updates of the following tutorials.
- Python Basics and Flow Control
- Python Functions
- Lists, Dictionaries, and Structuring Data
- String manipulation and Regular expressions
- Working with Files
- Exception handling
- Debugging python scripts
- Working with Linux system configuration.
- Monitoring alerts using python
- System health checks using python
- Managing cron using python.